April 3, 2008

Myspace Is Creating A New Music Service....Big Whoop

So, Myspace is getting set to announce, or most likely as already announced, that they will be partnering with three of the major music labels to create an online music service. This new service is designed to compete with Apple's iTunes Store on it's own territory. By providing the 110 million monthly visitors to Myspace access a wide range of music services and products, it may actually surpass iTunes as the number two music retailer in the world.

Whoop de shit.

Don't get me wrong, I have no strong ties to Apple in particular. And anything that gets music to people is a good thing in my book. If some random person partaking in a little Myspace action happens to stumble upon some new sound, then it's all victory as far as I'm concerned. So, I take no issue with Myspace getting into the retailer racket.

My issue is how they're going about it.

In creating an iTunes competitor, who has Myspace formed a brotherhood with? Why, only Universal Music Group, Warner Music Group and Sony/BMG of course. Three out of four of the top record labels in the world, don'tcha know?

And whose wares do you suspect those labels will be pushing upon creating this new service? Umm, gee I don't know, probably THEIRS. All the artists who sit under the major label's umbrella are going to be pushed on the streets and whored like nobody's business. Which is great if you're into that sort of thing. But I'm not, so I'm left with one question:

What happens to the indies?

All those stellar unheard acts and the minor labels trying to make some great things happen for music fans, who speaks up for them? Not Myspace apparently, from what I can tell. Despite having probably the largest number of unsigned and unheard band music and profiles on the internet today, I have read no evidence that suggests the parties involved in this service will be tapping any of it.

Nope, this is the big boys show, and if you weren't invited to the party well..........sucks to be you I guess.

And yes, I am one of those unsigned and unheard artists trying to find some success out in the world. However, my concern isn't just for myself, but for the tons of really great artists out there. Where are the I Make This Sound, or the Ether Orchestra's, or the Sarah Severson's or the Erin Austin's gonna be? In a day where any artist has the ability to share their work with anybody in the world at anytime, Myspace done went and made shit harder.

And maybe it's just me, and the shallow world I live in, but aren't those indie artists the thing that's actually bring the fans? Majors are hurting from what I understand. Every article I read is about how they're bleeding money. They've gotten stale, haven't changed the recipe in far too long. And the world is more than smart enough to know it. Seems to me more and more folks are investing in those unsigned and unheards because it is something is completely fresh. Wouldn't making a fantastic service that only promotes that old sound cause more of the same nonsense? Ah, but what do I know about all this?

So, you boys go ahead and aim after Apple's throat. If being number one is what gets you off, well then knock yourselves out. I sure as hell won't support you. Y'see, for all the evil Apple can drop, they did do one thing that appeals to me: They put the indies on an equal footing with the majors. The segregation on iTunes is at a minimum. You can just as easily scope out the last American Idol's CD and then find the BGO. And yeah, they do some advertising for big boy artists on the site, but nothing like you'd see like on.............oh I don't know.....Myspace maybe? Ye gods, artists in the good graces of Tom get huge pictures of themselves shoved down everybody's throat. Extra songs, special treatment, all if you're willing to pay the tolls. Life is good when you can afford it. So, if this music service follows suit to how the operation's been run, well I think me and a lot of other great folks are about to be pushed even further into the shadows.

So good luck on your new endeavor Myspace. Hope you crash and burn.

No comments: