March 31, 2008

How Avon Knows The State Of The Country

So, I was reading the Avon catalog in the bathroom when...........

Yes, I have an Avon catalog in my bathroom. This isn't some hideous dark secret of mine, nor is it a thing of lust-fed guilt. Just hard truth in the constant reminder that I live with women. Yep, I live with women. Women who buy beautification things on a regular basis. Hence, I have an Avon catalog in my bathroom.

It's not my preferred reading material, but when in the bathroom, sometimes one needs a bit of topical insight to smooth out the matter at hand. And when you've caught up on all your magazines, and a novel is overkill, well you rely on what's available.

So, I was reading the Avon catalog in the bathroom when...........

I noticed something odd. Something missing I guess you could say. In days gone by there used to be a plus-sized girls section. Nothing fancy, just some basic sportswear and a few unmentionables for the ladies with larger dimensions. I found that strange, considering that section has been pretty commonplace for a few years now (yes, I've read the Avon catalog in the bathroom for years now. I live with WOMEN!)

My first thought was that maybe Avon had decided making a line like this just wasn't worth the time. Didn't sound right. Women like, and deserve to be beautiful no matter what shape or size they are. And they would pay any price to feel pretty. Avon knows this. They've been in the game long enough to have figured out the basics. Only reason to stop marketing such a line is if there is no market for it anymore.

No market means nobody's buying it anymore. If nobody's buying it, chances are good it's because it no longer fits anymore. If it no longer fits...............then women are losing weight.

Now, I'm all for it. Healthier women means happier women, and that's never a bad thing. But I find the fact that more women are losing weight interesting because of the times we're in. We're almost knee deep in a recession. Good folks are becoming homeless, the job market is dwindling, people are holding on to whatever extra money they can.

Basic survival tactics. If one must cut the fat, start with yourself. And they're slimming down in preparation for a long drawn out impoverished dirt nap. The female species, through some deep subconscious instinct, figured this out. I'm not sure how that power works, probably similar to how animals know when an earthquake is coming, but I know it's there. And they, without ever saying a word, have prepared for it.

The Avon catalog has served as some form of active early warning device. Things are about to get very rough in the world good people. Stay lean and be prepared.

Of course, it's altogether possible that there are alternate reasons for the omission of said section, but I'm sticking to my theory on this.

No comments: