March 24, 2008

Birthday Wishes

Today I am here to celebrate a birthday. The birthday of a very special, very wonderful individual. Someone who's very existence has changed the lives of many, all for the better. Today, I wish a big happy birthday to.......Mrs. Boogie.

That's right, that delightful young woman who decided that she had nothing better to do then spend them with me for these past seven years, has gotten a little older. And though the idea of increasing age makes her less than enthused, and any mention of her birthday usually elicits more grumps and groans than a retirement home that ran out of pudding, god dammit I think it needs to be commemorated.

For you see, the delightful Mrs. Boogie is quite the woman. More talented than any creature I know. She can pick up any art, any trade, and master it it minutes. I have no doubt that if she desired it, she could be a better musician than I'll ever be in half the time. Currently, she's a master of sewing, watercolors, calligraphy, pencil drawing, and my personal favorite, writing. Capacity of even one of these skills would be enough to make any normal person's life pretty satisfactory, but not Mrs. Boogie. Nope, she's constantly shooting higher.

She's smart too. Very smart. I've watched this woman routinely make science her bitch. It's an impressive sight to behold if you ever have the time. When asked a question about biology, chemistry, or any other heavy science, she sighs, answers it with the tone an accountant uses to tell a child what 2 + 2 equals, then wraps it all up by saying, "Duh!" There have been doctors,who have been on the receiving end of one of those "Duh's." It's something pretty special to watch a person with a PhD and years of experience feel completely incompetent at her hands. I, of course, am not a doctor, and hear that tone on a regular basis. Somehow she still feels inclined to keep me around.

Most importantly, she knows how to bring out the best in people. Anyone who crosses paths with her is almost always better for the experience. She's accepting of people's quirks, encouraging of their dreams, and always ready to cheer up anyone who's down.

Especially yours truly. I was a miserable sack some eight plus years ago. Grungy, unkempt, and miserable. I locked myself away from the world and dealt with no one. Dark rooms with no light and bad music with horrible, fucked-up lyrics. That was the womb to me. My coat of arms in a confusing world. I trusted no one, and kept my thoughts to myself. And despite all the piles of built-up bullshit I had created, the woman stayed with me. She cleaned me up, made me feel like I was worth something, and she encouraged me. She saw potential in my ideas. Thought my art was decent and entertaining. And she pushed me to finish it.

There would be no Bastard Groove Orchestra without her. The name, the idea, or the sound would simply not exist. Frustration and old age may have been the fuel that pointed me in the direction of what I do, but she was the catalyst. Without her, there would be no album. Hell there wouldn't even be a single finished piece of music. I was an artist before her, I'm a better artist because of her.

So happy birthday to you my dear, my beloved wife and friend. Thank you for sticking around this crazy time and place. Not just for these past seven years of our relationship, but for the whole shebang. This world needs your faith, happiness, and honesty more than you could ever realize. I know I sure do.

No comments: