March 17, 2008

Robert Irvine And The Truth

As many people have probably figured out, I am enamored with the Food Network. When I'm not writing mean things in the heat of anger, or strapped to an instrument making my latest masterpiece, I'm in the kitchen cooking. It's a great passion of mine, and when I'm in need of ideas, or some all-important understanding of what I'm throwing in the pan, you know where my cable box will be set. There are lazy days in front of the TV where I can watch a solid ten hours of cooking programs, fine dining experiences, and competitive culinary greatness.

For those who don't care much for the culinary arts, I would invite you to take in a little Food Network yourselves. It makes for an interesting case study in something we haven't seen on television in a long time: honesty. Yep, these people who provide entertainment and recipes are very honest. Hell, they have to be. People might actually cook this shit you know? Can't have things like bleach and motor oil on a recipe if it isn't going to enhance the flavor. Might kill someone if the doses aren't right.

So, the Food Network has earned quite the reputation with me for being straight and true. I respect their opinions and trust their word. Even when it comes to something so obviously asinine like putting tomato sauce on a pot roast (which works surprisingly well I might add,) I trust in the word. And they have yet to let me down.

Which makes a recent Food Network announcement that much harder to deal with. For they have decided to fire one of my all-time favorite chefs: Robert Irvine.

Yep, the host of Dinner: Impossible, one of the more interesting Food Network programs has been terminated. And why this outrage? Because the man lied. He falsified things on his resume to make it look more impressive, and got caught in the lie.

One of my newfound heroes is gone, and my Wednesdays are now empty and cold.

Make no mistake, the man was an ass. He had a major arrogant streak, was smug, and had no problem running over and stomping on anyone who caused him problems. I've never held it against him, frankly I think it's why I enjoyed the program so much. Watching him maintain his composure and not strangle Neil Patrick Harris definitely made for good television. Still, I never guessed he would forge anything to get ahead. The man's always seemed very capable and competent, and making stuff up to get ahead seemed ludicrous.

And I find myself conflicted in this. I mean, I agree with Food Network's decision. Having someone claim to do some amazing things only to find out they didn't actually do them would piss anyone off. Remember, Food Network thrives on honesty, half the reason I watch it. Keeping someone dishonest around goes against the very foundation of the station.

On the other hand, I like the program. And I like the guy. He's a complete prick, but an entertaining prick is never unequaled. And I know the nature our current economy. It's not always easy to get ahead in the world. Sometimes over-exaggerating things to get ahead turns out to be the name of the game. Hell, I know my resume tends to emphasize a few things that were minor in the grand scheme of things. And I do it without regret, hoping that said skill will result in opportunity. The man got opportunities, and did well with them. I'm not sure what he lied about, nor do I care all that much. The man put on a hell of a show. Whipped up some fantastic looking eats in ridiculous conditions, and did it without ever losing his cool (much to my dismay.)
I certainly was a fan, and can almost sympathize with his transgressions. I dare say, most of us have been there. Irvine did it, and got so big that there was no way he could back down. Nope, someone had to pop the bubble for him.

Would the show have been entertaining without the forgery? Damn right it would've. Would he be the host of said show without the forgery? I don't know. That's not for me to even speculate on.

In the end, I guess that the Food Network made the necessary decision given the circumstances. Irvine came out and admitted his fault, and acknowledged the actions of the station. There is no blame game here, no passing the buck. Simply a guy getting caught with the things he was trying to hide. The decision has its valid points, even if it does ruin Wednesday nights for me. So, I will stand by one of my favorite stations, and hope that when the steam dies down, they can cut my man Robert some slack.

However, if they screw with Alton Brown, violence will ensue.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI- The show is not cancelled. Robert Irvine may not be the host anymore but the show will continue. You never know.. maybe it will be better??!!

Boogie Man Montoya said...

Good point. Sometimes when one gets into a literary fervor, they forget to even out the facts.

I'm open to the possibility that there might be a better and more impressive host for Dinner: Impossible, but not terribly optimistic. Irvine was pretty damn incredible. I don't think there are many who could handle that kind of pressure and deliver the goods, definitely not anyone on Food Network's current roster. But, we shall see.

P.S. The other night I had a nightmare that Guy Fieri took over as host. Ye Gods man!

Dave said...

apparently michael symon will be taking over after this season.. i personally hope that they just get over the nothing that this actually means and hire robert irvine back..