January 20, 2009

The inauguration of President Barak Obama

Today is history. A moment in time that when we spend our lives looking back on, and constantly remind ourselves "I was there, I saw it happen." And while I'm don't know how this generation and this president will be remembered in the annals of history, no one can debate the impact this will have on all of us.

I'm an excessively thought-laden man, most of them crude. But watching the inauguration has completely stripped my mind. All I seem to be able to put together is "I can't believe this is happening," over and over again. I have fully embraced how important this moment is, and find myself with few adequate words, most of which are landing on this page.

For me personally, I couldn't be happier. This will be the first time in my life where I feel like I can relate to my Commander in Chief. The African-American's of the world claim him as one of their own, which is justified. And the Muslim parts of the world also claim him as one of their own, which is also justified. But Obama is also a self-professed mutt, a half-breed, and a person of mixed descent, which also makes him one of me. My mixed background has been something that stands out so much, and that I wear every single day of my life, that it's impossible to deny. And while I won't go so far as to say it defines me, it is something that makes up a good piece of who I am. Many say that no one can understand what it's like to be of an ethnic background unless you are born ethnic. The same is true of half-breeds, if not more so. Charles Mingus once referred to it as the "colorless island," a phrase I've often used myself. I'm not going to use this space as a reason to talk about my personal trials and tribulations, but understand that when I see a man of mixed background take over as this nation's leader, I feel like this man can understand where people like me come from.

The man's apparently also a southpaw, which only sweetens the deal.

As I said, the future may not paint Obama as the hero we're seeing today. I certainly hope it does, but one never knows. And he still has plenty of critics here and abroad who would love nothing more than to tell us who supported this man, "See? I told you he was no good." I have no more idea what the future holds than you do, but I ask all of you, supporters and detractors alike, to take a look around you today and see what your country mates have in their eyes...

Hope.

Your nation, and all the people in it are hopeful once more. That perhaps they really do have some say in how their country is run. That on the top of the hill, there is a man who is willing to listen to you. We have license to dream again, a feeling which I hope you take as much advantage of as I intend to. Most of your country has united behind a man who is saying right now, that no matter what bolt of cloth you wear, and what flag you carry, if you mean well to your brothers and fellow citizens, we will support you. And that's something good.

Enjoy this moment people, enjoy the sense of unity, and togetherness. If you voted for the man, and even if you didn't, celebrate this. For today, we're all bound by a new President, and a new set of responsibilities to this country. Starting tomorrow, our country changes. Maybe not fiscally or by any mark of law, but by the attitudes of the people who live in it. And if you don't agree with the man and the title he now holds, I hope you are still willing to fight and work with all of us in trying to be better, to do better, and to live better lives.

This is history my friends, revel in it.

No comments: