June 23, 2009

Jon And Kate Divorce

Hey America, did you know that Jon and Kate of "Jon And Kate Plus 8" are getting divorced? Did ya? Huh? Did ya? All I can say about this matter is THANK FUCKING GOD!

Up until last week I didn't know who these people where, and I was happy not knowing. My life was good people. Then all of a sudden, everyone has to go on talking about the dark sinister lives of these reality superstars that I never heard of. "He's a whore, she's a piss-poor mother, they fight all the time, it's all gone to their head....blah blah blah." Never in my life have I had something so inconsequential rammed down my throat. I couldn't turn anywhere to escape it. It was on the radio, in magazines, on every news feed I hit up, commercials were rampant about this whole thing. Commercials! On stations that don't even show the fucking program! Even if I just read the headlines, I was learning too much. I got the entire history of the program from countless headlines and half an article, that's how bad this was.

Who won American Idol wasn't blown up into this scale, and neither was Susan Boyle. Both people who actually have talent! And by talent, I mean something greater than dropping a high quantity of children out of an over-fertilized uterus. If you find this to be a pinnacle of human achievement, then more power to you. Me? I find it amazing at the potency of modern drugs and the ease at which one can get them. And yet, this simple act of basic biology and advanced pharmaceuticals is the talk of town. Apparently even Iran isnt' as important to the masses.

I don't know, did the brunt of this country really idolize this family as America's Sweethearts or something? Was this the family that "spoke to the heart of middle class America?" I'm not being smug, it's an honest question. I never watched the program, and have even less of an interest in doing so now, so I have no idea what even made these people likable to begin with. But with all the shock and awe that has been thrust upon these souls, I can't help but thing that many out there saw them as some cultural ideal. And I guess, if I just look at the black and white of the matter, I can see why. Big family struggling to make ends meet in a tough time, we've all been there. Hell, many of us are still there trying to dig our way out.

And the sad reality is, that by divorcing, they probably are more real than we give them credit for. In a time when the majority of marriages fail, it only makes sense that the darlings of the state follow suit. Celebrity status is harsh, and dangling shiny things in front of people who are struggling is always a sure-fire recipe for collapse. These things have happened to many, and it will continue to happen long after these people stop being a gleaming light in the public's eye.

For me, I'm just glad the whole thing's over and done with. Everyone can quit holding their breaths and get on with shit. Maybe now I can get back on track, having pointless news tidbits that I can easily ignore, shoved in my face.

No comments: